PORTUGAL is the country on everyone's lips at the moment, as Brits look to lock in a holiday to the green list destination.
As one of the few European hotspots on the green list, Portugal has become the clear favourite for those wanting a bit of early summer sun.
This article contains affiliate links and if you click a link and buy a product we may earn revenue
After more than a year of holidays abroad being off the table, many Brits have saved up some money and are willingly to spend a bit more when they do finally go away.
It's a trend that's been picked up on by several travel companies, including Thomas Cook who reported that 85 per cent of its customers had booked four or five-star hotels in Portugal.
Previously, it was only around half of people that chose to splash out on luxury hotels.
Those planning to jet to Portugal can do so in style, as there are still some excellent deals to be had on luxury four and five-star hotels.
These are some of the best in key destinations including Lisbon and the Algarve.
- EasyJet Holidays Alvor Baia Hotel 4* June 7-nights from £663pp
- EasyJet Holidays Falesia Hotel 4* June 7-nights from £542pp
- Thomas Cook 4* Tivoli Lagos Hotel 7-nights from £323pp
- TUI Blue Falesia Hotel 4T 4-nights from £396pp
- First Choice 4* Aparthotel Brisa Sol June 7-nights from £470pp
- EasyJet Holidays, Madeira 4* Pestana Carlton Hotel 7-nights June from £682pp
- EasyJet Holidays Madeira 4* Vidamar Resorts half-board 7-nights June from £758pp
- Thomas Cook 4* Pestana Palm Oceans Hotel 7-nights June £472pp
- TUI 4T Rui Palace Madeira Hotel all-inclusive from £469pp
- TUI Pestana Porto Santo Hotel 5T all-inclusive from £593pp
- EasyJet Holidays 4* bed and breakfast hotel 3-night breaks June from £259pp
- Thomas Cook 4* Corinthia Lisbon Hotel 3-nights from £215pp
- I-Escape.com 4* Memmo Alfama Lisbon Hotel 3-nights from £414pp
Hays Travel has noticed a similar trend – they've already seen an almost four-fold increase in bookings for Portugal this summer.
The company's Chief Operating Officer Jonathon Woodall said the average spend on a two-week holiday for a family of four had increased by £370 to £4,000 as people look to "fulfil their bucket list".
This week’s best deals on holidays abroad
- Portugal holidays to book from £131pp now Brit tourists can travel to country
- Get Universal Orlando theme park tickets for adults at kids’ prices
- Gibraltar holidays from £105pp as country makes UK green list
- Cheap Portugal villa holidays and all inclusive hotels
- Flights for Portugal in June from £10
- TUI launches summer sale with £50 off Portugal hols or £100 off Greece & Malta
He said: "People are upgrading to better destinations and accommodation, spending more to treat themselves."
Portugal was added to the UK's green list on May 7, meaning UK travellers can go on holiday from today without having to quarantine when returning to England.
As one of the few countries on the green list, airlines and tour operators have launched thousands of flights and deals to cope with demand, with even plans for a UK-Portugal ferry route.
If you're looking for more foreign holiday inspiration, we've found cheap all inclusive holidays for this summer and there are many cheap package holidays.
For breaks in the UK, holiday parks are offering huge bargains and we've found the best UK holiday parks with children’s entertainment and the best holiday parks with outdoor pools.
We've also rounded up great deals in the UK's warmest places and found the best kid-friendly beaches and England's best family-friendly seaside towns.
This article and any featured products have been independently chosen by The Sun journalists. All recommendations within the article are informed by expert editorial opinion. If you click a link and buy a product we may earn revenue: this helps to support The Sun, and in no way affects our recommendations.
Source: Read Full Article