‘Tis the season for spending time with loved ones — and what better way to do it than by hosting a holiday movie night? In a time of year jam-packed full of happy hours, family dinners, and gift exchanges, reserving a night for relaxing at home with good company feels just right.
All you need is something festive to watch and something cozy to nibble on. Enter: Hallmark movie and recipe pairings. Each recipe takes inspiration from the film’s setting, theme, or plot, so you’ll have the ideal bite to accompany whatever you decide to watch. Text your friends, pull on your fuzziest sweater, and get ready for a night of holiday relaxation.
Executive producer Blake Shelton is behind Time for Them to Come Home for Christmas, a holiday film infused with both Southern charm and a touch of mystery. A woman with amnesia has just one clue to her identity — a newspaper clipping with a cryptic invitation to a Christmas festival — and catches a ride with her handsome nurse, who just happens to be driving in the same direction.
Take inspiration from the movie’s North Carolina setting to make a fresh take on a beloved Southern holiday dish, like baked mac and cheese. In addition to plenty of white cheddar cheese, this recipe adds sautéed mushrooms and Campbell’s® Cream of Mushroom Soup for an extra layer of savory flavor.
Baked Mushroom Mac and Cheese
Yield: 6 servings
– 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
– 1 pound mushrooms, sliced (any mix of cremini, button, or shiitakes)
– ¼ cup all-purpose flour
– 2 cups whole milk
– 1 cup Swanson® Chicken Broth
– 1 (10.5 oz) can Campbell’s® Cream of Mushroom Soup
– 1 teaspoon dry mustard or Dijon mustard
– ½ teaspoon salt
– 8 ounces sharp white cheddar, shredded (about 3 cups)
– 1 pound dry pasta, such as elbows or rotini
– ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
– 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Butter a shallow two-quart baking dish and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the pasta. Cook according to package instructions until the pasta is al dente, then drain and set aside.
3. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, until they are beginning to brown. Turn the heat down to medium-low, then sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat the mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes, stirring often. Pour in the milk, chicken broth, Campbell’s® Cream of Mushroom Soup, mustard powder, and salt. Stir until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the shredded cheese and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, until all the cheese is melted. Add the cooked macaroni and stir to mix.
5. Pour the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Stir together the melted butter with the breadcrumbs and parsley, then sprinkle on top of the mac and cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
In Love, Lights, Hanukkah!, a DNA test reveals that restaurant owner Christina is Jewish — introducing her to a new extended family she didn’t know she had, as well as a whole new suite of holiday traditions. Along the way, Christina also finds a spark with an unlikely love interest.
This movie has all of the feels — from Christina missing her recently departed mother to getting to know a new family — so it calls for a recipe that’s majorly comforting. That’s where this tomato cornbread comes in. The light, fluffy texture melts in your mouth, but it packs a flavorful punch thanks to Campbell’s® Tomato Soup in the cornbread and a spicy-sweet honey butter topping.
Tomato Cornbread With Spicy Honey Butter
Yield: One 9×9-inch cornbread
– 1 ¼ cups cornmeal
– 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– ½ teaspoon baking soda
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– 1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell’s® Tomato Soup
– 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
– ½ cup whole milk
– ¼ cup light brown sugar
– 1 large egg
Spicy Honey Butter
– 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
– 3 tablespoons honey
– 1 tablespoon hot sauce
– ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the Campbell’s® Tomato Soup, melted butter, milk, brown sugar, and egg together until completely smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
3. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and transfer to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out smooth and the edges are golden brown.
4. To make the spicy honey butter, whisk the softened butter, honey, hot sauce, and salt together until well combined and smooth.
5. Slice the cornbread and serve with the spicy honey butter.
The theme of coming together during the holidays is at the center of A Christmas Together With You. Megan originally planned to spend Christmas alone, but decides to go on a last-minute road trip with father figure Frank to find his first love — and discovers a connection of her own along the way.
Inspired by the idea of togetherness, this broccoli and cheese tart would be an ideal choice to share with friends and family. The creamy filling made from Campbell’s® Cream of Chicken Soup has a savory flavor that is a beautiful complement to traditional holiday dishes like roasted turkey, baked honey ham, and Green Bean Casserole, so this dish also a good option for bringing to a potluck dinner.
Broccoli and Cheese Puff Pastry Tart
Yield: 6 servings
– 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator
– All-purpose flour, for rolling
– 1 (10.5 ounce) can Campbell’s® Cream of Chicken Soup
– ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
– 1 egg
– 1 pound broccoli, chopped into small florets
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– ½ teaspoon garlic powder
– ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Unfold the puff pastry onto a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper and dust the top with more flour. Roll the pastry out to an approximately 11×13-inch rectangle. Slide parchment paper with pastry onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Using a small knife, lightly score a border 1 inch from the edge of the pastry, all the way around, being careful to not cut all the way through the dough. Transfer the baking sheet to the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the filling.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the Campbell’s® Cream of Chicken Soup, about two-thirds of the parmesan cheese, and the egg. Set aside.
4. In a separate medium bowl, toss together the broccoli florets, olive oil, garlic powder, and salt.
5. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator. Scoop the soup-parmesan mixture onto the center of the tart and evenly spread it up to the scored border. Scatter the seasoned broccoli over top of the filling and sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top.
6. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through, until the pastry is golden brown and the broccoli is roasted.
Source: Read Full Article