King Charles II I's staff are said to be 'livid and shaken' as they're told of redundancies at Clarence House – His Majesty's former official residence before he ascended to the throne following the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth ll on Thursday, 8 September.
His new role as King means that Charles and Camilla, Queen Consort will spend more time at Buckingham Palace, which has long been the official residency of the current monarch, meaning their offices will move there.
According to The Guardian, up to 100 employees – many of them long-term servants – have been given notice that their jobs are at risk, including private secretaries, the finance office, the communications team and household staff.
They are said to have received notice during the thanksgiving service for the Queen, at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh on Monday, which was attended by King Charles, the Queen Consort and other senior members of the royal family.
For all of the latest updates, sign up for OK!'s Royal newsletter .
Whilst many staff at Clarence House must have been aware that a change was coming when Charles became King, it is thought that many believed that their jobs would transition into the King's new household, before the letter arrived from Sir Clive Alderton, the King’s top aide.
A source said: “Everybody is absolutely livid, including private secretaries and the senior team. All the staff have been working late every night since Thursday, to be met with this. People were visibly shaken by it.”
The letter from Sir Clive seen by the Guardian read: "The change in role for our principals will also mean change for our household … The portfolio of work previously undertaken in this household supporting the former Prince of Wales’s personal interests, former activities and household operations will no longer be carried out, and the household … at Clarence House will be closed down. It is therefore expected that the need for the posts principally based at Clarence House, whose work supports these areas will no longer be needed.”
Sir Clive added: “I appreciate that this is unsettling news and I wanted to let you know of the support that is available at this point.”
He stressed that staff providing “direct, close, personal support and advice” to Charles and Camilla would retain their roles.
Whilst no exact financial plans are said to be in place, roles are expected to be found across other royal households for staff made redundant, where appropriate.
They are also expected to be paid an "enhanced" redundancy, above statutory minimum and assistance in sourcing external jobs, if none are found within other royal households.
A Clarence House spokesman confirmed the news, saying: “Following last week’s accession, the operations of the household of the former Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall have ceased and, as required by law, a consultation process has begun.
"Our staff have given long and loyal service and, while some redundancies will be unavoidable, we are working urgently to identify alternative roles for the greatest number of staff."
This week, OK! celebrates the life of Her Majesty the Queen with a commemorative special in honour of Britain’s longest reigning monarch. Be sure to pick up your copy.
- Queen's emotional return home as King Charles III and children receive coffin after final journey
- Harry and Meghan unite with Royal Family as they receive Queen's coffin at Buckingham Palace
- Princess Anne's subtle sentimental tribute to Queen on journey home to Palace
- Harry insists ‘military service is not determined by what you wear’ in bombshell statement
- For the latest updates on the Royal Family, sign up to OK!'s weekly royals newsletter
Source: Read Full Article