Piers Morgan on being 'attacked' by Jeremy Clarkson in 2015
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Jeremy Clarkson, 60, and Piers Morgan, 55, had long been enemies before they decided to bury the hatchet last year when they recorded a special Christmas episode of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? together. Now the former Good Morning Britain host has revealed how his former nemesis, sent him a touching message of support after he was told to “apologise” or quit his role on ITV, after he publicly stated he disbelieved Meghan Markle’s claims during an interview with Oprah Winfrey about the Royal Family.
Piers recently typed up a bombshell account of the events leading up to his resignation on GMB three weeks ago.
The outspoken broadcaster explained how ITV executives were keen for him to apologise at first, but he did not want to.
Piers explained he firmly stood behind his comments on the Duchess of Sussex and refused to back down on his strong opinions.
He wrote: “ITV executives suggested to me that I should now issue an apology to calm things down.
“But I don’t believe Meghan, so why would I apologise?
“As I mused over this conundrum, GMB’s ratings for yesterday came in and were the highest in our history, breaking a new record we set only last week.
“The show’s on fire, in every sense. But the flames are now raging uncontrollably towards me,” he added in his Mail on Sunday column.
To make matters more “serious”, Piers then received a message from “old foe” Jeremy, who was also sceptical over Meghan’s comments to Oprah.
The ITV star continued: “To compound my growing twitchiness, I got a text from my old foe Jeremy Clarkson that read, ‘I am completely on your side’.
“Oh s**t. This must be more serious than I thought.”
ITV eventually decided Piers should either apologise or leave GMB for good.
He added: “Mid-afternoon, Kevin Lygo, ITV’s Director of Television, who I’d spoken to several times since yesterday, rang to say we were now ‘on the cliff edge’ and either I apologised, or I would have to leave GMB.”
Rod Stewart’s wife Penny to ‘bring glamour to Celebrity Masterchef (PHOTOS)
Mark Labbett feels ‘guilty’ about staggering weight loss (NEWS)
Joe Sugg girlfriend: Strictly’s Dianne Buswell shows off new ‘do (LATEST)
By the end of Tuesday, March 9, Piers was no longer part of the show he had hosted alongside TV “wife” Susanna Reid for six years.
In a statement issued by the network at the time, they said: “Following discussions with ITV, Piers Morgan has decided now is the time to leave Good Morning Britain.
“ITV has accepted this decision and has nothing further to add.”
Since leaving the show, Piers’ book Wake Up has stormed to the top of the Best-Sellers list on Amazon.
The TV personality was “touched” so many of his fans had purchased the book.
In view of his 7.8 million followers, Piers typed on Twitter: “BOOM! Wake Up is now Britain’s No1 best-selling book.
“Amazing. Free speech matters.
“Very touched to see you many people support me. THANK you,” he added.
Source: Read Full Article