NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has said the state has "pleasingly" recorded just five cases in the latest 24-hour reporting period, from 28,767 tests.
"None of which are linked to the security guard who tested positive a few days ago, which is good news, but, of course, we're on high alert to make sure that there aren't any additional transmissions that we're not picking up," she said.
Two of the new cases are in hotel quarantine, and three were locally acquired in south-west Sydney.
Of the three locally acquired cases, one is the Liverpool Hospital outpatient mentioned in Wednesday's press conference, one is a household contact of a person associated with the Bankstown funerals cluster and one is a man in his 20s whose source of infection is unknown. His close contacts have been identified and directed to self-isolate.
Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said the state was in an "incredibly critical phase" of its pandemic response.
"We are seeing these continual low levels of transmission, particularly in south-western Sydney, but also popping up in western Sydney from time to time," she said, noting it was critical that testing rates remained high and people continued to adhere to social distancing restrictions.
It brings the total number of cases in the state since the start of the pandemic to 3782.
Time to relax the borders: Barilaro
NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro addressed the media in Albury where he has ended his tour of the state's border communities.
The state Nationals leader said he had met with a number of stakeholders in the Albury region, including schools and people employed at Albury-Wodonga's shared hospital and believed there was "an argument" that restrictions on the Victorian border should be relaxed.
"Seven weeks ago we made tough decisions out of Sydney and tough decisions in protecting the millions of people of NSW when the cases in Victoria, one, couldn't be traced and, two, were escalating at a rate beyond what anyone had seen even in the first phase of the crisis in March and April," he said.
"We made tough decisions and with that, unfortunately, it impacts on communities.
"Seven weeks on, some of the numbers across the border are getting better. The risk profile is reducing and, therefore, there is an argument for a reset today to move forward."
Mr Barilaro said he would be taking what he has learnt from his border tour – which began at the Queensland border earlier this week and included a trip to Queanbeyan – to Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Thursday.
"I can't make promises of what I can achieve but I am going back with the facts and data from someone that understands border communities," he said.
The Deputy Premier flagged a financial support package for border communities would be announced in the coming days.
Potential restrictions for those who won't vaccinate
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant has said, rather than requiring for people to have a coronavirus vaccine if it eventuates, it is more likely her state will restrict where people who have not been vaccinated can visit.
"We sometimes make policies around preventing certain groups of people from entering environments without being vaccinated," she told 2GB on Thursday morning, noting this would be done to "protect the most vulnerable groups" in society, such as those in aged care and hospital.
However, Dr Chant said she believed the focus on how many people might not want to be vaccinated after yesterday's news of a tentative deal between the federal government and a British pharmaceutical company was somewhat misplaced.
"We should remember that Australians generally embrace vaccinations; we have one of the ighest vaccination rates in the world."
Asked if it would be likely that children would be vaccinated in schools, Dr Chant said "if we have a safe, effective vaccine and have sufficient volumes we would be looking at vaccinating everyone" but it was more likely "priority access" would be given to the elderly and health workers.
NSW recorded seven new coronavirus cases yesterday, including five locally acquired in western and south-west Sydney without a known source.
Dr Chant told 2GB there was "no evidence at the moment of onward transmission" from a security guard who worked in a city hotel quarantine facility before working at two western Sydney locations while infectious.
Sign up to our Coronavirus Update newsletter
Get our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the day’s crucial developments and the numbers you need to know. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald’s newsletter here and The Age’s here.
Source: Read Full Article