A man shot by police after shouting "go for it" as he clutched an air rifle was lawfully killed, an inquest jury has ruled.

A court heard James Carlo Wilson, 24, had wanted to go out in a "blaze of glory" and be killed by a police marksman.

Having phoned Northumbria Police anonymously at 12.57am on the day of the shooting, Mr Wilson told a call handler he was carrying a 9mm gun and was in South Shields, South Tyneside, where his former girlfriend lived.

At 1.15am, officers received another call from the same number, and coroner Karen Dilks told jurors: "The caller, among other threats, said he would not put the gun down, he didn’t care if anyone got hurt and he was going to shoot the officers who attended."

Asked later whether he was going to be peaceful towards the armed officers, who he had asked to come to the scene, Mr Wilson told the handler: "I’m going to shoot them, you daft c***."

Having refused to drop his rifle, which was later found to be an air gun, officers fired a plastic bullet at him as a deterrent, with Mr Wilson shouting "ah cushty" – slang for "great" – after the shot hit him.

Officers told the inquest how, when Mr Wilson continued to point his weapon, a rifle round was fired at his chest.

Moments before the shot was fired, officers had told him "put it down", to which he shouted: "Go for it, go go go."

Police attempted to carry out first aid at the scene, but Mr Wilson died at Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital on April 1 2016, three days after being shot in the early hours of March 29.

On Tuesday, a jury at Mansion House in Jesmond, Newcastle, ruled by majority verdict that the death was a lawful killing rather than a suicide.

In their conclusions, the jury told how Mr Wilson had been asked to drop his weapon seven times and had refused, adding that he had called for armed officers to attend the scene.

It was also confirmed that the police response complied with codes of practice.

Mr Wilson’s mother, Tracy Todd, broke down in tears as she and other family members were told the ruling.

Jurors had been told how Mr Wilson had self-harmed in the past and had been rescued by police during a "cliff-top incident".

In a statement read to jurors during the inquest, his father Carl Wilson said: "I think he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory. That’s why he did it the way he did.

"I think he wanted the police to kill him and he used the police to commit suicide."

But James Wilson’s friend Sean McLellan, who had shared 48 bottles of beer with the 24-year-old the day before the shooting, said Mr Wilson had not wanted to go out in a "blaze of glory", adding that he hated his father and had rarely seen him.

Outside court, Ms Todd said: "All I’ve got to say is that I was right all along, my son didn’t commit suicide, and that’s it."

Following the inquest, the Independent Office for Police Conduct said an investigation had found that Northumbria Police’s response during the incident was "appropriate".

A spokesman said the officers’ belief that Mr Wilson posed a threat was "reasonable", adding: "Our investigation did not find evidence of misconduct or performance issues for any individual officer."

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • McDonald’s worker ‘knocks customer out’
  • Terror for first-time hang-glider
  • Plane take-off halts over Snapchat text
  • Killer ‘paid for gay lover’s fillers’

Source: Read Full Article