Harrods will open its first ever pop-up store in a west London shopping centre to sell leftover summer stock which was unsold due to the pandemic

  • Luxury department store based in Knightsbridge since its launch 170 years ago
  • Announced plans to open pop-up outlet in Westfield White City this summer
  • Store to showcase discounted stock to deal with overstock and social distancing
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

Harrods is opening its first ever pop-up outlet store using leftover stock from the coronavirus pandemic. 

In a temporary move this July, the luxury seven-floor store – which has been based in Knightsbridge since its launch 170 years ago – will showcase discounted stock at White City’s Westfield shopping centre. 

The department store will rent an 80,000-square-foot space formerly used by Debenhams in the shopping mall, and hopes the move will help with the new Covid-19 social distancing measures.  

Harrods (pictured)  is opening its first ever pop-up outlet store using leftover stock from the coronavirus pandemic 

Harrods managing director Michael Ward explained how the store is altering their current business model and operations in response to the coronavirus crisis. 

He said in a statement: ‘Our focus has been on getting our Knightsbridge store back to what it does best; serving our customers, supporting our brand partners and bringing new and exciting experiences to those who pass through our doors.’

‘Harrods Outlet allows us to enable better social distancing across a larger footprint, move towards the new season decisively and confidently, and retail in a responsible way. ‘  

With the outlet launching in Westfield shopping centre, the store’s main location will focus on new-season, full-priced products when it eventually re-opens.        

The luxury department store – which has been based in Knightsbridge since it’s launch 170-years ago – will showcase discounted stock at White City’s Westfield shopping centre 

The department store, owned by the Qatari Sovereign Fund having been bought from Mohammed Al Fayed, announced plans to shut their doors in late March.

Director Ward commented: ‘The welfare of our community of colleagues, customers and partners has been our absolute priority throughout this time of uncertainty. 

‘With this in mind, we have made the very difficult decision to close our doors from 7pm, Friday 20th March.’   

Last month it was reported that the store would offer personal shopping services for its most prized customers during lockdown. 

The department store announced plans to shut their doors in late March. The store is pictured following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease

According to the Mail on Sunday, staff took orders from clients via telephone and smartphone messaging as part of the first stage of a phased reopening of Britain’s most famous department store. 

Harrods said it would require a ‘very small number’ of the retailer’s 5,000 staff to launch the service while adhering to social distancing. 

But it would use the operation to test whether it could extend the service following the initial launch.

‘We are exploring technology to scale as required ahead of being able to phase to inviting customers back in store,’ said a spokesman.

Source: Read Full Article