A four-year-old girl was left fighting for her life after contracting the deadly E.coli infection after a trip to the Isle of Wight.

Isla Grainger had to be put in an induced coma in intensive care after the harmful bug caused her kidneys to fail.

Isla spent 17 days in hospital and is now recovering at home, but is still not well enough to go to school.

She began to have diarrhoea and sickness after a weekend trip to the Isle of Wight with her mum Lauren Aspery, 21, and mum's partner Lewis Keith.

The family visited a petting zoo, arcades and a beach in Sandown on the island before Isla became unwell.

But, as yet, they do not know where the infection came from.


Mum Lauren, who lives in Whiteley near Fareham, also had painful stomach aches and nausea.

After Isla stopped eating and struggled to go to the toilet for three days, Lauren took her daughter to the emergency department at Southampton General Hospital.

The little girl was rushed into emergency surgery to insert a catheter and begin urgent dialysis after tests revealed she had E.coli O157 .

Medics realised the E.coli had developed into hemolytic uremic syndrome, affecting Isla's blood cells and vessels and resulting in kidney failure.

She had to undergo surgery to remove a twisted catheter and was later moved to intensive care and placed in an induced coma.

Devastated Lauren was left terrified she would lose her daughter, as Isla's condition quickly became a "matter of life or death".

She said: "It was terrifying. I thought the worst and that we were going to lose our little girl.

  "I really believed this was just a bad case of sickness.

"The doctor took a breath and told us that 'Isla is very, very poorly, much more sick than we thought'.

"From this moment on, everything the doctor said felt like a bad dream. Isla had kidney failure. Her kidneys did not function at all and her body wasn't able to cope.

"This turned into a matter of life or death."

E.coli is a bacteria found in the gut and faeces of many animals, particularly cattle.

It can be caught by eating contaminated food, touching infected animals and contact with people who have the illness.

Public Health England said it is investigating the source of the infection.

Lauren added: "I was so pleased we had an answer and knew what has caused the failure, but I'm very concerned that we are yet to find out where the E.coli was contracted from, and there is a high chance other people can be putting themselves at risk.



Source: Read Full Article