That’s because the average fancy dress costume can cost up to a scary £25, according to a recent survey.
But fear not, there are ways to create a winning party outfit on the cheap.
- Shop swap. Who wants to wear the same costume as last year? No one. Instead, check in with friends and family and see if you can swap your little ones’ costumes and avoid the need for expensive shop-bought ones. There’s no harm in recycling an old World Book Day outfit and adding fake blood. Save on fake blood (£1 per tube at Tesco) by making your own. Mix 1 tablespoon of flour, a cup of water and two teaspoons of red food colouring.
- Paint perfect. A dab hand with a paintbrush? Face paint is the shortcut to a horrifyingly good Halloween outfit. Just follow a step-by-step YouTube tutorial. Claire’s Halloween face-painting kit has everything you need for £7.20. But Wilko’s Frightfully Fab Make-up Kit looks small but actually packs a punch and it’s just £2.
- Mache play. Morrisons has some amazing skull face masks from a fiver. But you can make your own papier-mache version using newspapers and flour (47p, Asda) and water paste. Layer it over an inflated balloon, leave to dry in an airing cupboard overnight, pop the balloon and cut in half to make a mask you can then decorate. For the popular zombie costume, rip some holes in an old T-shirt and trousers, then paint their face white, add dark eye circles and smear red and black face paint or fake blood over their outfit.
- The mummy returns. One of the simplest and cheapest outfits is to wrap up little ones with strips of toilet roll to “mummify” them and if you need extra, tear into ten-piece trails and wrap round individually with knots. Add shorter strips to hang from knees and elbows and, if needed, secure with plasters (£1.49 for 20, Boots), then add a plaster to each cheek.
- Costume magic. If your child loves Harry Potter, dress them in school uniform, recreate his scar by drawing a lightning bolt on their head with an eyeliner and then add round glasses. Make your own using black pipe cleaners, £1.10 for 12, Hobbycraft, or buy as part of a set. Amazon has a Gryffindor tie, glasses and wand for £6.72.
- Hot right now. Get 25 per cent off all TU clothing including Halloween and Christmas outfits until Monday.
Fortnite Halloween costumes – how to look like the Black Knight, Skull Trooper and many more Battle Royale favourites
Deal of the day
GET a free pumpkin from any shop by joining topcashback.com.
Upload your receipt and they will refund you the cost up to £4. Offer ends Wednesday.
GET 40 per cent off at Photobox using code SUN40 with no minimum spend.
You can get this simple canvas for £9, was £14.99. Offer ends Monday.
My Sun Savers fiver
JEAN CHATLAND from Bedworth, Warwickshire, says: “I am saving up my fivers to buy a tasty turkey for my Christmas dinner.”
- Send us your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used.
- Please include your name and town.
GRAB a breakfast bargain with Lidl’s Oatilicious Scottish porridge oats, 85p.
They’re almost identical to Quaker rolled porridge oats, £2.
Shop & save
LOOK your best for less with this No7 rose gold illuminated mirror from Boots. Was £34.99, now £17.99.
Reader's saving tip
LAURA RICHARDS from Newport, South East Wales, says: “When cleaning, spray disinfectant on a cloth, not the surface, and you’ll cover twice the area. You’ll be surprised how much longer products last!”
- Send your tips to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used.
- Please include your name and town.
Win £1,000 to pay your energy bills
WITH the nights drawing in and temperatures dropping, keeping on top of your bills can be tough – and expensive.
But don’t worry because Sun Savers is giving you the chance to win one of five prizes of £1,000 to help pay towards your energy bills and ease the strain at this costly time of year.
For a chance to win, collect FIVE Sun Savers codes from those we are printing daily until Sunday, October 28.
Once you have your five Sun Savers codes, go to the Sun Savers app or sunsavers.co.uk to enter them.
Lastly, click “Enter” on the “Win Your Bills” page by midnight on Monday, November 5.
Not already a Sun Savers member? Head to sunsavers.co.uk or download the free app to get started.
Don’t forget to also check out our Sun Savers page in the paper every day, for great tips on how to spend less and pocket more.
TERMS & CONDITIONS: Collect FIVE Sun Savers codes from the eight printed in The Sun between Sunday, October 21 and Sunday, October 28, 2018. Last chance to join in is Wednesday, October 24.
Competition closes at 23:59pm on Monday, November 5. Over-18s, residents of the UK only. One entry per person. Winners will be selected at random from all valid entries.
There will be FIVE winners of 1 x £5,000 cash. Allow seven days from entry closing for the draw to take place. Winner will then be notified within 14 days. Please allow 28 days for receipt of prize. Prize is non-transferable. Your information will only be used for the purposes of this competition.
Promoter is News Group Newspapers Ltd. Not open to staff of the Promoter and promotional partner or their families. The winners will be asked to participate in reasonable publicity relating to this competition.
The Editor’s decision is final.
For a list of winners, please send a stamped, addressed envelope to: News UK, Competitions Department, 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF stating which competition you would like the winners’ details.
2 FREE TICKETS WORTH £70
Get up close and personal with more than 250 lifelike figures of your favourite celebs – including royals Prince Harry and Meghan.
To claim your free tickets just collect NINE Sun Savers codes from the 18 we will be printing in the paper from Saturday, October 27 until Tuesday, November 13.
You can also collect TEN printed tokens and use the booking form in Saturday’s paper, but with Sun Savers you can book a day early.
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash. With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
Source: Read Full Article