Great British Bake Off’s Prue Leith has defended Dominic Cummings for making a controversial trip to Durham despite being in coroanvirus lockdown.
Mr Cummings had driven 250 miles to his parents’ house with his wife and children to stay with his parents while self-isolating at the start of April after strict lockdown rules had been imposed on the UK.
The news has led to calls for Mr Cummings, 48 – who is Boris Johnson’s top aide, to resign or be fired – with Transport Secretary Grant Shapps facing some very awkward questions at Saturday’s coronavirus press briefing.
Prue shared her thoughts on the matter on Twitter and shared a tweet that read: ‘Dom and Mary’s journey was necessary and therefore within rules.
‘What’s also necessary is not attacking a man and his family for decisions taken at a time of great stress and worry, the fear of death and concern for a child.
Visit our live blog for the latest updates: Coronavirus news live
‘This isn’t a story for the normal political sh**kickery.’
Prue retweeted the post and commented: ‘Well said, Danny. How about a bit of kindness and tolerance?’
Mr Cummings became the centre of a political storm after it emerged he made the trip to Durham with his family while his wife suffered from coronavirus symptoms in March.
On April 14 he was seen returning to work in Downing Street, but witnesses claim he was back in Durham again on April 19, having allegedly seen him on a walk with his wife.
One eyewitness at Houghall Woods said the Brexiteer political strategist remarked: ‘Aren’t the bluebells lovely?’
Downing Street has insisted he ‘stayed put’ on his parent’s farm during his first visit and only travelled so that his parents could help with childcare.
However, a retired chemistry teacher, 70, said he saw Cummings and his family walking along the River Tees in Barnard Castle on April 12, 30 miles from the Durham home.
Metro.co.uk has contacted Prue’s rep for further comment.
Source: Read Full Article