Oxford University scientists claim hiking the price of red meat would prevent 6,000 deaths a year by encouraging us to eat healthier alternatives.
Here, family food blogger Michelle Rice, of utterlyscrummy.blogspot.com, reveals her tips for keeping the cost of meaty treats to a minimum . . .
- Price freeze. “Opt for frozen casserole meat or mince and stick them in a slow cooker. Frozen meat, particularly chick-en, is much cheaper than buying fresh and makes easy dinners. A 1.15kg bag of chicken fillets is £5 at Iceland compared to £5.79 for 1kg of chicken fillets at Asda.”
- Bulk buy online. “There are lots of online butchers and meat retailers that offer bulk deals for very good prices. For example, you can get £9.75 off 5kg chicken breast fillets at greatbritishmeat.com. Introductory deals are also fantastic, such as £10 off at farmison.com.”
- Bigger is better. “Make a vat of Bolognese sauce and use it for lasagne, chilli and cannelloni. Save £2 off three 675g mince packs at Morrisons. After cooking, divide into meal-sized portions and freeze leftovers for ready meals. A whole chicken is much cheaper than pre-packed and can be used for risotto, pasta bakes, soups and sandwiches.”
- Stretch it out. “Add extra vegetables or toppings to recipes. Another potato and carrot, or some pumpkin or sweet potato, in a casserole can make one more serving. Add cooked pulses or in- expensive canned beans, chick- peas and lentils too. Throw a handful of oats (75p at Asda) into Bolognese sauce before simmering to bulk it out.”
- Quality over quantity. “Choose good-quality meat over poorer quality, cheaper meat. This especially applies to sausages — the cheaper the sausage, the more fillers and less meat. Four to six good-quality sausages will flavour a risotto, casserole or pasta sauce far better than eight to ten poor quality sausages. Shop around and you can find Heck 97 per cent pork sausages for £2.50 at Morrisons, compared to £3.15 at Tesco.”
Deal of the day
TREAT yourself to the WE Charity beauty calendar on offer in Boots. Was £70, now £35. Ends Thursday.
HAVE an indulgent treat with Galaxy Instant Hot Chocolate on offer at Sainsbury’s for £2. Offer ends November 20.
My Sun Savers fiver
DEAN HAMMERSLEY from Malmesbury, Wilts, says: “I am saving my Savers fivers to buy premium bonds for our first great grandchild due at the end of 2018.”
- Send your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and get 28 codes, worth £5, if yours is used. Please include your name and town.
DRINK with these festive bauble glasses from Studio half the price of a pair from Culture Vulture.
Reader's saving tip
SALLY JOHNSON, from Watford, Herts, says: “Instead of buying expensive lint rollers, use an old pair of rubber gloves to remove pet hair.”
- Send your hints to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and get 28 codes, worth £5, if your tip is used. Remember to include your name and town.
Shop & save
GET £5 off a £25 spend at findmeagift.com when you use code FMAGSUN5. Offer ends November 27.
Hot right now
PERFECT your pout with LED lip gloss from protocol.com, with built-in lights and a mirror. Was £9.95, now £4.
Win a £14,000 caravan
YOU could enjoy holiday after holiday in style with our latest super Sun Savers competition.
We’ve teamed up with caravan experts Knaus to give one lucky reader a new, touring caravan worth more than £14,000.
You could get your hands on this fantastic Weinsberg CaraOne 390QD. It sleeps up to four people and includes a host of top-notch features.
To enter, collect TEN Sun Savers codes from the 18 printed daily in the paper between today and Tuesday, November 27. Then head to the Sun Savers app or website and enter your codes.
Once you have entered ten, go to the Win A Caravan page and click “Enter” before midnight on Monday, December 3.
AS well as bringing you this great competition, The Sun is the official partner for the 2019 Caravan & Motorhome Show and as Sun readers you can grab an exclusive ticket offer.
Book tickets in advance, paying just £7.50, at caravanshows.com and quote SUN19 at the checkout. It is the largest caravan and motorhome show of its kind, with the BIGGEST choice of caravans, motorhomes and holiday homes anywhere in the North of England.
The Caravan & Motorhome Show, January, 17-20, 2019, is held at Manchester’s EventCity.
It is a value day out for the whole family with FREE parking, FREE entry for under-16s, FREE show guide and FREE entry to Destinations: The Holiday & Travel Show running in the same venue.
- Advance box office closes: 9pm on Wednesday, January 16, 2019.
- Standard advance price: £8.50; On-the-door ticket prices: £9.95.
- Calls cost 7p per minute plus network extras. £1 transaction fee applies.
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
Source: Read Full Article